Sunday 11 September 2011

Having To Hold Out For Holding Out For A Hero

Just as Marion and I were looking forward to watching daughter-in-law Josephine's new show "Holding Out For A Hero" on ITV1 tonight at 7pm we discovered that it's not on in Scotland until Tuesday. So the champagne has to stay on ice. I hope that everyone in England enjoys it. Josephine devised and developed the show and I hope that her name has the prominent place in the credits that she deserves. We saw the trailer on STV last night and there was our son Paul in the front row of the audience.




Yesterday we went to The Duke's Gold Course to watch the Leuchars air show from their viewing terrace they put on a very good buffet but the view of the show (in the far distance) was not particularly good and if we want to see next year's show we'll need to get a lot nearer to the action. Sarah, Rose and Duncan joined us and it was good to be together for a few hours.




I mentioned the hard time I had metal detecting a few weeks ago due to the abundance of tin cans in the field near to the road. I've been doing a lot of cycling this week so I can see the roadside verges clearly as I pedal by and I can't believe the amount of rubbish that people throw out of cars. Every yard of grass has at least one bit of litter in it. I am sure that this is not a problem isolated to Scotland and just wish that people would realise the mess that they are making of the countryside.




Fortunately today's metal detecting field was a long way from the road and consequently I found no beer cans or similar rubbish. I had hoped to find some medieval bits and pieces in this field which is close to an old village but, although there were plenty of signals, most of the finds were from the 19th and 20th centuries.




Nothing very exciting turned up although the military button for the 79th Fifeshire Rifle Volunteers added a bit of local interest. Best finds were a Victorian silver threepence from 1887 and a small silver locket sadly lacking its back and front.

No comments: