Tuesday 27 August 2013

A Long Weekend In Suffolk

We're in Rochester as I write. It's probably the last time that we will be here on child minding duties for some time as our third grandchild is due in the next couple of weeks and, as he or she will be arriving in Scotland, we'll be heading off to St Andrews very soon. We'll miss our regular visits to Kent - it's been wonderful seeing so much of our family over the summer months. 

We spent the Bank Holiday weekend at home in Framlingham. After a pleasant Saturday morning exploring the market and stocking up on some foodie treats at Leo's Deli, Hall Farm Butchers and Darren the fishmonger, we spent a bit of time enjoying coffee in The Crown where attempting the Times2 Jumbo Crossword has become a bit of a Saturday ritual. Needless to say I didn't manage to finish it again this week. I've only completed it once without cheating although I get close most weeks.


The weather was not too wet after lunch so I walked down to a local field to try my luck with the detector. I found stubble almost a foot tall which is not the easiest of conditions to detect on but I was very lucky and within a few minutes of arriving managed to find this.


I know that it doesn't look much but it is a silver annular brooch and dates from around the 12th century. Although the pin is bent it is in good condition and, as silver over a couple of hundred years old, it falls under the Treasure Regulations and I have reported it to the Suffolk Archaeology people in Bury St Edmunds. I thought that it might signal an afternoon of finds but I found little more of great interest although plenty of buttons and the usual stuff kept me occupied.



Sunday gave us the chance to get back out on our bikes. We headed off to Iken church. Standing on a promontory in the Alde Estuary, the ancient church is in a remote and idyllic spot.



It's an atmospheric old building and we loved its thatched roof - not something you see very often. We headed back to Framlingham via Tunstall Forest and Great Glemham after passing a handful of beautiful thatched cottages near Iken. It was another enjoyable ride without too many climbs and with just enough miles to makes us feel we'd done something but not too many for us to regret having done so.

Marion spent yesterday tidying the garden while I had a few more hours with the detector. No more finds - that silver brooch was a real stroke of luck. 

We'll be spending the rest of this week preparing for Scotland and hoping that the new baby does not arrive early.

No comments: