Thursday 17 March 2016

A Slow Recovery But At Least It's A Recovery

Marion's illness is now entering its fourth week and, though weak, she is making good progress so we decided that she was well enough to venture out this week. I do some business mentoring for Suffolk Chamber Of Commerce and I had an appointment with a client on Monday in Bury St Edmunds so Marion joined me and did a bit of shopping while I had my meeting. After that we went to the car dealership and ordered a new car. I mentioned last week that I was unhappy with the service I got in Ipswich. The Bury St Edmunds franchise (which is in no way related to Ipswich) made us very welcome and in less than half an hour we had signed up. The salesman was delighted to help us and I can't understand why Ipswich were so unhelpful as I imagine that the commission on a vehicle at the price we paid would be quite substantial. After we got home, Ipswich phoned and left a message to say that they had some details for us if we would phone back. I didn't phone back and they haven't tried again. They must have more customers than they need.


After we bought the car Marion said that she felt up to going to the cinema so we headed to Cineworld in Bury for Hail Caesar. We've been looking forward to this movie since we first saw the trailer and Marion was not  disappointed - she loved it. For me it was a bit of a let down. The vignettes and pastiches of 1950s Hollywood's golden times of musicals, westerns, and war films were absolutely brilliant. Channing Tatum's scene as a tap dancing sailor was fabulous and Ralph Fiennes was on top form as a camp director. One scene in which he attempted to get a young cowboy actor (Alden Ehrenreich) to enunciate his lines in a new role as a high society beau was laugh out loud hilarious. My problem with it was that, despite such  brilliance in many areas, the story didn't hang together for me and I found myself getting bored waiting for the next pastiche to arrive. It's a good film and a must see for any film buff but, loving the Coen brothers' previous work so much, I was a bit disappointed.

With Marion on the mend but still taking things slowly I've had a few more hours in the fields with the detector. You can stop reading now if this doesn't interest you but if you are interested, here are the finds that have turned up this week.


Nice 17th c bag seal castle and CN for Civitas Norwich
Damaged toy gun or 'petronel' from the 17th or 18th century

The Finds Liaison Officer tells me this is a medieval vessel mend.
Some fancy buttons 18th and 19th century

And a few more of this week's buttons
This week's scrap lead
It's a struggle to lift the lead scrap box now
A hammered silver coin. Almost completely devoid of detail. A friend and I keep a running total of our hammered coin finds in a friendly annual competition. They all count.


18th century Prussian Thaler 
Post medieval spur fragment probably 17th century
Various weights dates unknown

Medieval strap end

William III shilling in terrible condition
Victorian florin 1899
Spindle whorl (date unknown)

Post medieval buckle

Tudor period buckle

Charles I rose farthing
And a couple more
Tudor period buckle
Yet more musket balls


I've got scores of them

The finds liaison officer at the Portable Antiquities Scheme reckons this is a medieval spout.
Very early pewter military button. Royal Ordnance c1780-1820

Lead cames for window glass

Good Tudor rose horse decoration probably 18th century

Tudor period spectacle buckle



No comments: