Thursday 14 August 2014

Keeping The Retirement Active

I saw a sticker on a car parked near ours the other day. "On An Adventure Before Dementia" it proclaimed. I didn't know whether to approve or disapprove of the mixed messages it conveyed - to live life to the full before the inevitable onset of decay is an admirable aim but to assume that we're all going to end up with dementia is, hopefully, wide of the mark. Our neighbour is almost into his nineties but still as bright as a button (as were those one hundred year olds still driving in a documentary last night) and, although both of us have witnessed dementia in grandparents I'm hoping that it's a problem that doesn't mar our retirement.

At least the sticker didn't announce "Busy Spending Our Kids' Inheritance" - I hate that one - so mean spirited. But we continue to eat drink and be merry as much as possible with a mindful eye on the kids' and grandchildren's futures and fill as many of our waking moments as we possibly can. 

I last blogged about the incredible performance of The Crucible at the Old Vic and was delighted that it was my most read blog since I found some Roman gold jewellery with the detector. It took me to over 100,000 hits. I know that's not many and some bloggers get twice that daily but it was a nice milestone to reach. Anyway, I'll be losing readers if I continue to waffle on like this. 



After that theatre trip and dinner in Soho, we did a bit of shopping for presents on Oxford St before heading back to the Apex London Wall hotel where we had a very comfortable night in a spacious and well appointed room with a wonderful bathroom. Being close to Suffolk's London terminus Liverpool St it was ideally placed for us. Slightly more expensive than the likes of Premier Inn it was worth the few extra pounds to have just a touch of luxury without being ridiculously extravagant - after all we were only in the hotel for a little over twelve hours.


In the morning it was time for some more shopping. I have only worn a suit once since retiring. On that occasion we took some of our family to a meal at a very upmarket London hotel with a fairly strict dress code but when I got dressed to go and put on the suit I found myself swamped. I had forgotten all about the weight loss a few years back and had to dine with the trousers belted up like a sack of potatoes. Fortunately the jacket spared my embarrassment and covered this unseemly spectacle. So when a wedding invitation arrived recently it was the signal for a new outfit. We went to Selfridges and I bought this really lovely suit by Paul Smith. I can get away with the slim fit now but no, I am not going to be wearing it with no socks and half mast trousers.

We've spent this week in Framlingham. Marion's been active with fitness classes and has been to three or four while I've been out twice with the detector again. Here's what I tipped out of the bag when I got home after each visit.




Here's what was left after disposing of the rubbish and scrap lead.




Even though I've searched this field about eight times now there are still plenty of interesting things turning up. Here are close ups of some of them.


A livery button. Haven't been able to identify the family.

Just a piece of lead but obviously one used for something  - will have to ask the archaeologist.

An Edward II Silver Penny 
It was minted in Durham and dates between 1307 and 1327
A crotal bell in perfect condition - it still rings. It's Post Medieval and probably 17th Century

Part of an old cloth bag seal

Another medieval penny - too clipped to identity 
A white metal (probably silver) name tag for E L Baines. Has a Victorian look to it.

Two more Charles I rose farthings.

Another unidentified lead fitting.

Another bag seal - this one has the initials TP and is probably 17th century.

A Suffolk trade weight probably 17th or 18th century

An apothecary weight with the symbol for one ounce (I think). This could date from the early 17th to the early 19th century.

A strap fitting - possibly medieval
A trader's token. This one is dated 1667 and was issued by William Smith of Yoxford. Sadly it's in terrible condition.
Terrible condition again but this is another local trader's token from the 17th century. This one is a farthing issued by Thomas Knights of Saxmundham. 

This lead scrap has the look of a fragment of a pilgrim's badge.
A door bolt slider - date uncertain.
Some people refer to the hobby as "Treasure Hunting". As you can see, there's certainly no treasure here but there's certainly an insight into what local people mislaid and, with the agreement of the landowner, I'm planning to make a display of everything from this particular field which will be available to anyone interested in local history and could even be loaned to the museum if they are interested. 

No comments: