Wednesday 2 March 2011

And I Would Drive Five Hundred Miles

And I would drive five hundred more to find a fabulous antique like this.Excuse my using a link instead of the photo but I am blogging on the move today and using the iPad and uploading photos on blogger is proving difficult in the time available.I spotted the enormous vase on eBay a week or two ago and was the only bidder at £35. The only snag was that the seller lives near Southampton and his sale was conditional on the buyer collecting.As we are about 250 miles away, this was easier said than done. But I didn't want to miss the opportunity to buy a rare piece of Zsolnay majolica so off we went at 8 o'clock this morning and a little after noon it was ours.Decorated with massive Van Gogh style sunflowers the vase was clearly moulded by an accomplished artist and I love it despite a couple of very small chips.

I would have made the five hundred mile round trip just to pick this up but, fortunately, we have tickets to see the recording of A League Of Their Own at Elstree tonight and this means that we have only gone a hundred miles out of our way.We're grabbing an hour's rest in a comfy room at the Days Inn on the M1 and then we're off to Borehamwood for the show.I've seen the guest list and it promises to be a very funny evening.

No comments: