Friday 14 June 2019

Back Off My Feet Again


When I last blogged I was walking without these. Indeed, I was talking to Marion about returning them to the hospital when I next visit. I was walking okay. I limped a bit but nothing too bad and the painkillers were safely stowed away in the medicine cupboard. 


In fact I was feeling so good that when we gave our two sofas to a friend's son, I helped Marion to move them out of the lounge.

Big mistake. 

The next morning I had the same excruciating pain that led to me going to A&E on 9th April and I was back on the crutches. I had an appointment booked for an MRI scan to get to the bottom of the earlier problem but that was not until July so Marion phoned and asked if there was any chance of bringing it forward. Surprise, surprise, I was given an appointment less than twenty-four hours ahead and yesterday evening I was lying in agony inside the scanner for twenty minutes doing my utmost to keep still.  

I haven't got the results yet but my feeling (with a little help from Mr Google) is that I have a herniated or prolapsed disc. I've got all the symptoms bar back pain but I've seen two doctors and an osteopath and none has made this suggestion so maybe I am wrong. All I know is that the pain is unbearable without heavy duty painkillers and I think I'll be out of action for some time.

We had tickets for a private view of the Dior Exhibition at the V&A yesterday but didn't make it. However, before my relapse, we did make it to the Royal Academy Of Art's Summer Exhibition.

It was our first Summer Exhibition as friends of the RA

There was a very interesting mix on view

The tiger covered in Tunnocks Teacake wrappers has had plenty of publicity and deservedly so
I'm sure I won't have been the first to make a Kardashian joke about this piece in the courtyard


The separate exhibition of monumental pieces by Phyllida Barlow  is impressive

We had a wonderful evening for the Champions League Final on 1st June.

Excitement started to mount when a lifesize Jurgen appeared in The Crown at lunchtime



Seven friends joined us for the match and brought some delicious half time snacks which we enjoyed  before the champagne flowed at full time.


We didn't make it to the NO TO TRUMP march. We felt it had been hijacked by Momentum. It's not just the extreme left wing who hate Trump and we didn't want to be seen as part of this group.

We're making progress with the revamping of the lounge. The new sofa arrived and the curtains, blinds, cushions and decoration are all in place. We've now got to add some finishing touches by way of a rug, some armchairs, lamps and tables and art of course.

We wanted some local pieces so paid a visit to Spadge Hopkins' exhibition in his Fram studio where we bought this little Grandpa and Grandson sculpture fashioned from old tools.


We bought this moody seascape by Emma Green at Snape Maltings and then visited Framlingham artist Buzz Mitchell at her studio and bought the fabulous large graphite sketch of Snape reeds below.
It's a large piece and it has gone to be framed. I think it will go perfectly in the lounge.

While I was still active, the OVO Women's Cycle Tour came through Suffolk and right through the centre of Framlingham. I managed to grab a few snaps.





After the damaged buys on eBay that I blogged about, I thought I'd never have any luck. But things had to change and I was pleased with this super Chinese cup I found for a fiver plus shipping.

Not quite Mr Prendergast's Fantastic Find but a nice change.



Now that I'm laid up again, I've found time for some reading.



I've not read Trollope before but I have to say that I'm loving this.

Now I'm waiting to hear from the Hospital with the MRI results. Hoping they've solved it this time.


2 comments:

Dick Stout said...

MRI's are sometimes worse than the medical problem itself. I have had three or four and dreaded all of them though the last one came with Xanax which helped some.

Take it easy and get well.

Grace said...

Awesome work of art there. Get well soon.