Friday 31 May 2019

Back On My Feet Again (Almost)

It's over a month since I last blogged. I signed off with a photo of a new friend who had taken up residence in the garden and added "He's cute but he won't be very cute if he eats any of  Marion's new plants."

I probably don't need to tell you what happened next. We got home from a visit to Scotland and not only had twelve newly planted roses been stripped of all foliage but...



... he now had a friend. Marion loves her garden and gardening and the loss of the roses (amongst many other plants) was a huge disappointment. Our gardener wired off the most vulnerable plants as we tore our hair out in desperation but the rabbits had arrived overnight and, suddenly, they were gone overnight and haven't been seen again since. I don't know what happened to them but the local fox seemed to have a particularly satisfied look on his face.

Time for a quick mention of our wonderful son Paul. He grew up making his own little video shows and games and it was little surprise when he ended up working in TV. He works in development and one of his many creations has just won a second BAFTA. Well done son.




It's now six weeks since I was taken into A&E in Ipswich in a wheelchair and it's been a very painful six weeks indeed. For the first three weeks I was confined to an armchair and then I gradually managed to get onto my feet using crutches. I stopped using painkillers after five weeks and, a day or two later, stopped walking with two crutches. I can now walk with a limp and have to use one crutch if walking any distance but I think I'm on the mend. I am left with a strange tingling sensation in my lower leg and the consultant has scheduled an MRI scan to see if he can get to the root of what caused the problem.



One thing I can manage is cycling. Although it is hard to get on and off the bike, once going, turning the pedals puts no pressure on the leg. I rode two or three times in Scotland when we went to visit the family (Marion drove most of the four hundred plus miles).


She isn't struggling with her legs!

We were blessed with glorious weather for our stay at St Andrews. We visited The Fairmont a few times. 


The views back to St Andrews are lovely.


A good place to visit for a meal or snack



We had a wonderful ten days. I was able to rest my leg and recuperate and, as always, it was lovely to see our granddaughters Rose and Melody. Buying the caravan eight years ago was a great decision. Without it we could never have seen our Scottish family as much as we have done.

After more than a month of my lazing about, we finally decided that I was fit enough to be more active. We had tickets for a show in London so it was a spur for me to get off the crutches and take the train to the city. 



I am always looking for street art in London. This mural on the wall of H&M in Covent Garden is a fine example.



We had a good light lunch at Temper in Covent Garden


Come From Away was our choice of show.



No I didn't use my phone during the show, I took this during the standing ovation at the end. And never was a standing ovation more deserved. We've been going to theatre and cinema together for over forty years and this was the best show we've seen in all those years (and that's saying something when you consider some of the stuff we've seen). It really is that good. It left the hairs on the back of our necks standing up and I would happily go back and see it again. It's the story of what happened in the tiny town of Gander in Newfoundland on 9/11 when US airspace was closed and almost forty airliners were diverted to this far flung outpost doubling the population overnight. 

Funny, poignant, sad, joyful and emotional are just a few words to describe this show. I struggle to find a superlative to do it justice.  



We've also managed a couple of cinema trips. Eight Grade  is a lovely coming of age movie with a captivating performance by the fifteen year old Elsie Fisher. 



And yes, Rocketman does live up to its near universal five star reviews - great stuff



This week has seen a visit from the Kent grandchildren Catherine and Teddy. The house becomes a playgroup as Marion keeps them busy with toys, books and making stuff. That's not to say I'm not involved but Nanny is certainly the centre of attention.



Theodore is learning to write - he's three.



Making table



My latest novel continues to be well received on both Goodreads and Amazon. It's currently on Kindle at a special promotional price of just 99p


If you aren't already aware, it tells the story of a man who makes an incredible find on eBay. Being laid up for six weeks I've had plenty of time to try and emulate Mr Prendergast but, just as Mr Prendergast finds, it's not always plain sailing.








These three eBay buys arrived within a few days of each other. The large meat platter was by Minton and would retail with a top dealer for around £500 -bought for £47. The flowery jug and saucer (and a teapot) were fine German porcelain whilst the fabulous cups were beautifully hand painted and gilded and had survived for two hundred years.

I even asked the sellers to charge more if they wanted to use more packaging.



I think that my packing should get my sales to their destinations safely in one piece.






An exciting few days lie ahead.Tomorrow it's the Champions League Final and Framlingham Liverpool supporters are joining us for the match. I've got champagne on ice and hope that that's not tempting fate.

And on Tuesday we'll be back to London to "welcome" the orange baby to his state visit. 


I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Dick Stout said...

Glad to hear you're on the mend... hoping to see Rocketman tomorrow.

Oh and be sure to give the orange man my regards (and middle finger)….

John Brassey said...

Certainly will Dick