Sunday 16 January 2011

Noel Edmunds Be Prepared To Take A Hell Of A Beating



With apologies for the paraphrasing to Bjørge Lillelien who uttered the immortal "Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--we have beaten them all. We have beaten them all. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me? Maggie Thatcher, I have a message for you in the middle of the election campaign. I have a message for you: We have knocked England out of the football World Cup. Maggie Thatcher, as they say in your language in the boxing bars around Madison Square Garden in New York: Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating." Well tomorrow afternoon it's time for Noel and his Deal or No Deal to be knocked off his perch at the top of the teatime ratings with the launch of Nick Knowles' Perfection the brand new quiz show developed by my daughter in law Josephine.


Instead of watching a group of contestants who don't seem to understand the laws of probability reject perfectly good offers for their boxes and then see their potential prize evaporate before their eyes you can watch a quiz show that everyone can play at home. You'll have a fifty fifty chance of getting each question right as the whole show is based on "true or false" but can you achieve perfection and get every one of those answers right? The questions are fiendishly tricky and the answers are often not what you would expect at all. It's a great show, the questions have been brilliantly researched and the very likable Nick Knowles is doing the presenting. Tune in to BBC2 at 4.30pm and exercise your brain cells. Deal? It's a no brainer.




I love this photo. Our eighty something mums came round this afternoon for a spot of lunch and then to watch the football. I paused the match at the kick off while we finished our puddings and was enjoying Liverpool's half time lead when disparaging tweets from my son led me to think that the second half was not running quite so smoothly. That's the big problem with sporting events and Sky live pause. You basically have to go incommunicado until its all over when the Twitterati and people like Bjørge can have their say.




One of the joys of parenthood is supporting your kids and taking an interest in their interests so tonight I will be ensconced in the spare bedroom watching the New York Jets play New England Patriots in the second round of the play offs for the Super Bowl. I know the basic rules but I won't have much of a clue as to what is going on. At least I will be able to console Paul when I speak to him next (or, who knows, discuss who they're playing in the next round).




We're going on a bit of a film pilgrimage tomorrow as we head to Carnforth to the Brief Encounter tearooms. Carnforth was the setting for the fictional Milford Junction in the classic weepie and we're off to soak up the atmosphere and perhaps a nice cup of tea and a biscuit. I'm practicing my lines "I love you, Marion. I shall love you always until the end of my life. I can't look at you now cause I know something. I know that this is the beginning of the end. Not the end of my loving you but the end of our being together. But not quite yet, darling. Please. Not quite yet."


I was delighted to reach over a hundred readers of yesterday's blog (I like to think small), a minor milestone. I haven't had many comments though. Please feel free to add them.

No comments: